Monday, August 10, 2009

August 10, 2009
Strange fishing trip
Let's start with this BC cartoon which coincidentally was published August 9th. I'm not going to tell this story; many of you accuse me of "exaggerating," You all talk behind my back I know it; then there was the time with the strawberries Ahh, but the strawberries that's... that's where I had them. They laughed at me and made jokes but I proved beyond the shadow of a doubt and with... geometric logic... that a duplicate key to the wardroom icebox DID exist, and I'd have produced that key if they hadn't of pulled the Caine out of action. I, I, I know now they were only trying to protect some fellow officers...; where was I? Oh yes, sorry I digress. I prefer to call it livening up. Anyway, something similar to Thor's adventure happened to the Fishin Optishin on our trip Saturday. I'll give the FO the opportunity to tell what happened under comments.........
Since we were shark fishing we had to get some bait. Using my homemade Sabiki rig rod we caught some little pinfish and menhaden to use. FO was astonished this rig worked. Others fishing around us praised my ingenuity by stopping their boats, pointing at us, slapping each other on the back while doubling over laughing. I'm not familiar with this type of nautical salute, only seen it once before when he had the "Bermuda cover" on my daddy's old boat. However my chest swelled with pride as they lined up to come by and "salute" the Nell One.
An example of the bait.
An example of what we caught during the day. Most were 3-4 feet long and put up a good fight on light tackle. There was at least one barracuda involved also, but again, I'm leaving that to the FO to tell.
I didn't bring big or strong enough hooks. Here is an example of what happened regularly.
Someone bit the wrong end of the bait! This little croaker must have not seen what was coming.
On the way home FO took some pictures of the rig which has been working in the turning basin for several months now. They drag the bottom, put it on a barge and take it out in the ocean to dump.
On our way home after a fun day; not as many people going our way as on a typical summer Saturday afternoon, but still a crowd
Not sure why Bobby took this picture, probably wanted to look busy while I cleaned the boat........But it is a good shot of the boat and the old SkuttleMobile
Rinse the boat and trailer down, flush the engine, no fish to clean, Bobby provided some delicious burgers for dinner. It was time for a greenie from Holland (or two) and listen to what really happened during our Shark Week fishing trip. The floor is yours Bobby..........
In town all week, might be the last time for a while; would like to get out one evening if the winds lies down. Come on, let's go!

5 comments:

oldparatrooper said...

Bermuda cover???It made the old Crosby look more like something John Kerry SUPPOSEDLY chased in the Mekong Delta..anyway I got a call from the East German judge refusing to change his score on the acrobatics unless the FO can document. SO, come on FO, story,pictures, eyewitness accounts. Also one of my favorite quotes from the Caine Mutiny "The first thing you've got to learn about this ship is that she was designed by geniuses to be run by idiots.

fishinoptishin said...

There really isn't much to tell....but that's never stopped me from ramblin' on before.

I left Durham around 3:15 on Saturday morning and popped in the Riley's back door a few minutes after 6 AM. There sat John in his boxers, drinking coffee and reading the newspaper. So much for an early start. Finally, after finishing the crossword puzzle, getting dressed and doing his nails, John was ready to go. We hit the water around 7:30 and headed out to AR 320. I'd been to 315 plenty of times but this was my first trip to 320 so I was excited. Funny though, they all look the same from up top.

I was amazed at how John's little invention worked so well at catching baitfish. I grew up in Nash County but even I'd never seen anyone fish with a piece of PCV pipe before.....a broomstick (with the broom still attached) yes, but not PCV pipe. But, he'd pull up two or three little pogies every now and we'd use them to entice the sharks.

The sharks were plenty hungry and we had no trouble catching a few. Most were brought to the boat and quickly released. One in particular though was troublesome and made a big fuss over nothing. It had a really big mouth but didn't have anything meaningful to say....I believe his name was Al Sharkton. Badaboom.....I'm here all week. Try the veal.

Anyway, none of that is the story JDuke wanted me to tell. I was jigging on the bottom using a medium weight St Croix rod with a jighead and a Gulp shrimp trying to catch some more baitfish. Something picked up the lure and ran towards the boat with it. I reeled as fast as I could and then the fish turned and dove away from the boat. The drag on the Shimano reel was screaming. Bzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz! (Well, I guess that sounds more like a bee). Anyway, it went about 30 or 40 yards straight off the starboard side and then less than 10 seconds later a 4-5 ft barracuda was flying thru the air around 30 yards off the bow of the boat. He spit my lure out during the middle of the flight and then landed in the ocean with a huge splash. My mouth fell open and I asked John, "Did you see that?" He answered, "See what?" I looked back at him and his eyes were as big as half dollars so I knew he'd seen the whole show. We went back and forth a bit, but we finally agreed that the barracuda was at least 10-12 feet high up in the air.

So, that's something that doesn't happen everyday, not to me anyways. And no, I've not exaggerated a bit here. Sorry Dave, no pics of the barracuda........yet ;)

So, a fun trip as always. Thanks to the Rileys.

Kevin said...

Did the VC top get passed along with the boat when pop sold it?

oldparatrooper said...

I think the VC top went missing soon after we had an "experience" down at Edenton one day fishing for white perch. Don't remember what happened to it...maybe UJ has it being rigged for the the "new" yellow boat. I think it would look great!

John said...

The VC top lived a long time in permanent retirement in the boat shed and was thrown out as we started to clean out the shop.

Dueling Banjos No, the odd looking young man did not play the banjo in the movie, here is how the movie-magic people did it: Fake sleeves !!...