Friday, August 28, 2009

August 28, 2009
Trying to reason with another hurricane season; TS Danny is going to brush up to our coast tonight; shouldn't be too much of a problem but its always worrisome to see those things form up off Africa and come across the Atlantic. There is another one behind it about a thousand miles off the Cape Verde Islands....of well, take the bad with the good.
Last Friday night West Carteret opened their season with a 21-18 win over North Brunswick. Jackson averaged either 31 or 37 yards, depending on whether you trust my stats or the newspaper's. Theirs sounds better.
Before the game some students gathered to tailgate. Nice picture of Staci Hoell, Rod and Debbie's daughter. She is one neat young lady, very smart and looking at colleges near San Francisco for next year. She is going to do well at whatever she tries.

And a picture of Jackson after the game. Due to Danny they played their second game last night and defeated Swansboro 58-6. 2-0, first time West Carteret started that well in quite a while. Jackson had 3 punts and averaged 31 yards again according to my calculations; we'll see what the paper says tonight.
Worked in the Tidewater VA area this week, stopped at Edenhouse Bridge on the way and revisited a place I used to really enjoy when I was a kid. We fished out of this landing in the Albemarle Sound and Chowan River for many different types of fresh, brackish and saltwater species. I remember catching a bream on one side of the boat and a flounder on the other one hot summer day under the old bridge. Beautiful water and good memories

And now for something completely different; a Hyundai Genesis; after looking at the the logo on the wheels and the design and paint I thought it was a Bentley. Really nice car.
And a shot for the SkuttleDude, I found the AC Dude. Wonder if its the Air Conditioning Dude, or the Air Cleaner Dude? Now try to remember....who was the Assman?
And last but not least a shot forwarded to me by the SkuttleDude. Look closely at the nameplate above the license plate and the prancing stallion to the left of it. And I always thought my roadster was made in Japan, come to find out she's from Maranello!
At this point I'm supposed to be in town all of next week and then we have Dink's birthday planned for Labor Day weekend (we'll celebrate yours too Kevin, but Dink likes to suck up all of the oxygen in the room) Terri will be very busy with the preparations, wish her luck.

6 comments:

oldparatrooper said...

Pop and I fished there one New Years Day and trolled the bridge for stripers. It was so cold that when we came in we had to crank up the old Chevy stationwagon and get warm before we loaded the boat. Another good one is when Pop,Kev and I fished there and Kev caught a large catfish. It was the only thing we caught that day and when we got to the landing there was an old lady fishing with a cane pole. I SUGGESTED to Kev he give her the catfish as she was fishing for supper and we weren't. Good life lesson for him, but hard to explain to an 8 year old.

John said...

Dang, why were you fishing? I'll bet the FO wouldn't have given away a catfish? Bobby..............

fishinoptishin said...

Well, I must finally break my now four week self-imposed sabbatical from offering my always impulsive and sometimes less than wisdomy (new word....take note, Webster) and often 'embarrassing the next morning' responses and comments on various internet forums, IM's and emails to make a few comments on this.

First off, Dave, you taught Kevin a good lesson. Much better than I would have at that moment, I'll be the first to admit. I would have taught him how to fry that c'fish with it's head on and pick it's brains and eyes out with toothpicks. (Well yes, this is probably a prime example why I don't 'write' a whole lot anymore....but the eyes are really good.)

It's hard to believe that Rod Hoell has such a pretty daughter. As we Rocky Mount boys continually say about one another, "he must of married good" just as I and any fella with the last name 'Riley' that I know has been lucky enough to do for the last 35 years or so.

Congrats, Jackson. With the way the media reports facts these days, your average should be at 50+ yds/kick in a few weeks...if you're a registered Democrat.

What made me respond to this particular blog was the photo of the Edenhouse bridge landing. Now that brought back memories. THIS is the picture I see in my mind when I think about going fishing with Pop and JDuke so many years ago. That landing....that black water....heading out into the Albemarle sound. We didn't feel the sun or the heat, we were fishing. Lunch was crackers and beans...maybe a sandwich if there was leftover sausage or bacon from the breakfast Pop had made for us at 3:30 that morning....after which he might smoke the only cigarette I'd see between his lips that day.

"You OK, Bobby?" I'd hear that a few times every day when we were on the boat. The funniest time was when Pop was holding on to the back belt-buckle of my shorts as he taught me how to take a whiz off the bow of the boat. "Yeah, I'm OK.....don't let go!!" He'd give a quick forward push and jerk back fast just for the heck of it and I'd piss all over me and the boat. He thought that extremely funny for some reason. I just thought it was part of fishing. Even to this day I..........well, never mind.

OK, I've probably done enough damage for now. Time to crawl back into my hole. Nice post John. Enjoyed the pics more than you'll know.

John said...

1. Nothing about the Ferrariata?
2. Jackson is a registered Democrat (don't tell Lottie)
3. Maybe you should see an analyst about that peeing off the boat problem; and send Pop the bill

oldparatrooper said...

Well your # 3 comment explains why FO cant pee off of the boat without someone holding his belt. Glad he fishes with you most of the time.

kevin said...

man, the comments are as much fun as the post! great story UJ, seems like just yesterday dad was trying to get me to get rid of the biggest fish i had ever seen...

and what did i learn?

anyone sitting on a 5 gallon bucket by a boat ramp is not just a "recreational fisher". i hope that old lady didn't eat it, but rather mount that sucker on the wall and tell everybody back in Edenton about how she must have fought it for 30 minutes before gaffing it.

happy early b-day dink!

Dueling Banjos No, the odd looking young man did not play the banjo in the movie, here is how the movie-magic people did it: Fake sleeves !!...